Skip to Content

Reptile Quiz (RV)

Enjoy, participate and learn from the quiz forum. Post your quiz here for others to enjoy as well

Moderator: RosemaryH

wildflowergirl
Virtual Ranger
Virtual Ranger

Re: Reptile Quiz (RV)

Unread postby wildflowergirl » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:29 pm

Pilane wrote:That all depends on person to person.. age, health and many other factors can play a role here... Symptoms will show after 15 to 30 min like slurred speech, droopy eyelids and difficulty in breathing but with CPR a person should still be able to make a hospital...

True what you say, that it depends on person to person with health and age playing roles. However I had it that between 20- 30 minutes after the bite you can die, not for the symptoms to start showing.
You might get me out of the bush, but you won't get the bush out of me, it's deep in my heart

Philip1
Distinguished Virtual Ranger
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:13 pm

8)
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

onewithnature
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2013)

Unread postby onewithnature » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:02 am

It does depend, to some extent, on the size and age of a person, but much more importantly the site of the bite and how much venom is injected. Unfortunately, for a black mamba bite, the venom is extremely potent, with only a couple of drops needed to kill an average-sized human.

Interestingly, I was watching one of those TV experts who insists on getting as close to the face of a dangerous snake as possible while twirling it around his snake-stick, and he was speaking in terms of hours of survival, not minutes, and that no-one will die from a black-mamba bite if they get themselves timeously off to hospital. Such an attitude is undoubtedly complacent as the fatality rate of victims who do not receive antivenom is said to be 100%. Furthermore, if the snake is cornered and becomes aggressive, it may strike repeatedly, each time injecting more venom. Death from a black mamba bite may occur as quickly as a quarter-of-an-hour, although the delay may be as much as three or more hours. Antivenom is given as soon as possible after the bite and halts further damage from the venom, but does not, however, reverse damage already caused. Also, antivenom has its own life-threatening risks if the patient reacts to it in an allergic manner.

Bottom line - do not delay after being bitten, and make sure you get to a hospital with antivenom as soon as you able to.
EVERYBODY'S TR!
TR: A NEW DAY IS S-OWN
TR: NECTAREAN NICETIES OF THE NORTH
TR: PRIMEVAL PLEASURE

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." (Groucho Marx)

Philip1
Award: Quiz Whiz of the Year (2014)

Unread postby Philip1 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:34 pm

Thank you OWN for info. :thumbs_up:
"Lose yourself in Nature and find Peace!" (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
UNITE AGAINST POACHING...What we protect,
do not let poachers take it away!

Extinction is forever and survival is up to---every last one of us!

Return to “Quizzes”